Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tearful Goodbyes
















After three long, and sometimes frustrating weeks, we said goodbye to all our little children. Saying goodbye didn't seem real. I felt as though my professional self had taken control. However, I was sorely mistaken. As we drove away from Barlad towards the Capital of Bucharest, we passed through Tutova. I could vividly remember the excitement of the first night we arrived. Mihaela, our team leader, and told us all that if we hurried we could get a glimpse of the clinic. We all pressed our noses against the pitch black windows and searched for what was going to be our home for the next three weeks. The exuberance of finally arriving to do what we set out to do was tangible; it was electric. Now as we drove away, down that oh so familiar road, all my walls and coping mechanisms came crashing down. I was actually leaving. I would never see these children again. I would never hold them or comfort them. My tears came then; silently. It was so hard to have hope in that country where there is still so much corruption. My experiences in this country were definitely eye opening. My gratitude for the things I have has multiplied greatly. My love for others has expanded. I feel as though I have a better understanding of some things there.....and yet, I leave with so many more questions. There are still things in this world that I may never be able to fully comprehend, but for now I will have to settle for what I do.
*Pictures compliments of Tamera

No comments: