Monday, September 14, 2009

Preikestolen









Ok, so this is technically part of my Norway post, but it is too spectacular to not have its own entry. My dad, cousin Tommy, and Uncle Inge and I all decided to make the trek up to the top of Preikestolen (aka Preachers Pulpit). This is an intense hike that the Norwegians describe as, "a nice nature walk". Bah! Nature walk my foot. This is a 1,982 foot cliff that takes 2.5 hours each way to reach. It is really only 2.5 miles each way but you are on rough terrain that, at times, has a very intense incline. The four of us had all climbed it 6 years earlier, but we had forgotten how hard it really was. I'm pretty sure, at one point, my dad started to cry because he saw the massive trail up the side of the mountain that was covered in boulders. Ah, the memories. In the end, after hours of clambering over rocks, that seemed to get bigger and bigger until you were just climbing on solid granite, we reached the top. So worth it! Its kind of like childbirth, after your near death experience, you get this massive rush of endorphins that make it all worthwhile and exhilarating. I am already forgetting how hard it was and I am ready to go back. I guess, as with all things, there must be sorrow to feel the full extent of joy.

No comments: